With the holidays fast upon us and the stores full of sweet potatoes and great deals on them too…. Mine were $0.25 a pound the other day at my local Meijer store! I thought that it only seemed fitting that I share one of my favorite recipes involving sweet potatoes.
It’s a side dish or a dessert or even a breakfast snack (yea, that’s pushing it I know) that tastes simply amazing and it pretty easy to make.
- 4 cups sweet potato, cubed
- 1/2 cup white sugar or brown (whichever you prefer.. I’ve used both or half & half)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Put the sweet potatoes in a medium saucepan with enough water to cover them. Cook over medium high heat until tender; drain and mash.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sweet potatoes, sugar, eggs, salt, butter, milk and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth. Transfer to a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- In medium bowl, mix the brown sugar and flour. Cut in the butter until the mixture is coarse. Stir in the pecans. Sprinkle the mixture over the sweet potato mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven 30 minutes, or until the topping is lightly brown.
This is by no means low calorie but I can guarantee you that it is really tasty! This is the only way that I can get most of my family to even eat sweet potatoes.
What is your favorite holiday side dish?