Every year my dad’s side of the family gets together on Memorial Day weekend, in the thumb area of Michigan, for a family reunion and it is the one time of the year that everyone gathers, aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandkids.
One year in particular my aunt came home from California and the holiday weekend is close to her birthday so one of my cousins made this incredible carrot cake. That year was special because it was the last time that she was going to be coming home and we made the weekend extra special sharing lots of old pictures, movies, and stories with one another.
My Aunt showing the kids how to put their fingers in the frosting!
Now I have to say that the carrot cake is beyond amazing! There simply are not enough words to explain how good it really is, you just have to try it for yourself. Now this cake is not for those on a diet or anything like that and I wouldn’t suggest changing the recipe to make it healthier because it just wouldn’t be the same anymore.
I got the recipe from my cousin last year so I could make it for my dads birthday, and then again for my oldest daughter’s birthday as well. And now I will share it with you. I hope that you and your family enjoy it as much as we have.
Supreme Carrot Cake
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
3 large eggs
2 cups sugar
¾ vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups grated carrot
1 (8oz) can crushed pineapple – drained
1 (3 1/2oz) can flaked coconut
1 cup chopped pecans
Cream Cheese Frosting
• Grease 3 9 inch round cake pans (I only use 2 pans)
• Preheat over to 350 degrees
• Stir together the first 4 ingredients. Beat eggs and next 4 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Add flour mixture, beating at low speed until blended. Fold in carrot and next 3 ingredients. Pour into prepared pans.
• Bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
• Drizzle warm buttermilk glaze evenly over the warm cake layers; cool in and on wire racks 15 minutes. Remove from pans inverting layers, invert again glaze side up. Cool completely on wire racks.
• Spread on Cream Cheese Frosting and chill several hours before slicing. Store in the refrigerator.
1 cup sugar
1 ½ tsp baking soda
½ cup buttermilk
½ cup butter
1 tbsp light corn syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
Bring first 5 ingredients to a boil over medium heat. Boil 4 minutes, stirring constantly until glaze is golden. Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla. Cool slightly.
Note – I only make ½ of the glaze recipe, as the entire thing is really sweet.
Cream Cheese Frosting
This recipe is slightly softer than traditional frosting so I add more powder sugar till it’s thick.
1 (8oz) package of cream cheese, softened
1 (3oz) package of cream cheese, softened
¾ cup butter, softened
1 (16oz) package of powdered sugar
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
Beat first 3 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer till smooth.
Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until light and fluffy.
Stir in vanilla.