This post is a bit overdue and for that I’m sorry. I went to the store and thought that I bought everything that I needed to make the cookies. And then I got home and started to gather my stuff and much to my surprise I didn’t have flour! Well, that’s a lie. I have cake flour, soy flour, and even bread flour but no all purpose flour. What the heck!! I always have flour. So, I had to go back to the store the next day.
After making these cookies I was amazed that they didn’t totally flatten out while baking! And they tasted incredible! If you have no will power, love chocolate chip cookies, and are watching your weight these are NOT the cookies for you! These aren’t the cookies for me because of the previous mentioned items… oh well! I ate them and I enjoyed them warm out of the oven and the next day (and the day after that).
I searched the internet for the recipe that Levian Bakery used to make their cookies. And of course it appears to be a well guarded secret because I couldn’t find it anywhere. There were several recipes that tried to recreate them though. So I read through all the recipes, ingredients, the notes that the authors wrote on the recipe, and finally the comments from their readers. I pieced a few recipes together to make my own and the recipe is below.
Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup cold butter – cubed *
- 2 1/2 – 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup light brown sugar **
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, cold
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips – I used Ghiradelli Semi-Sweet
* I used salted butter. You can also use unsalted just add 1/4 tsp of salt.
** Ok.. I was out of light brown sugar too. I used 1 cup white & 1 cup dark sugar.
Preheat oven to 350 and make sure the rack is in the middle. If it’s to close to the bottom of the oven the cookies will be way to dark on the bottom.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy and then add eggs one at a time, then vanilla and mix until well incorporated.
- Add dry ingredients and mix till combined. Add chocolate chips.
- I used the medium scoop from Pampered Chef which is about 2oz twice to make about a 4oz cookie.
- Bake 10 – 15 min (up to 20 depending on how big your cookies are) and are lightly brown on the bottom.
Place on a rack to cool.
Now at this point we started eating the cookies as soon as they were cool enough to handle. They were thick, a bit crisp on the outside, and soft & gooey on the inside. My daughter and husband said they were the absolute best cookie I’ve ever made (I agree with them)!
They really were great cookies! Try them and let me know what you think.